Total page views

A tough masters degree, but what else did I do?

Making the decision to study at the University of Sheffield, in one of the best Civil and Structural Engineering departments in the UK, has been an amazing experience. However, it was tougher than I had expected. To help with this, I did a couple of things to keep my mind fresh and enjoy my time studying in the UK.

Here are some of the things I did…

Regularly check my emails for opportunities

This is a great way to find out about events going on at the university. Many times I had the chance to participate in focus groups where I shared my experiences of being an international student and gave my opinion on how university services can improve. I found this really fascinating, and it also gave me a chance to meet other students.

Global Campus

I decided to join all the university Facebook pages, since they gave information about all the events in campus. I attended the One World Café and History Walks organised by Global Campus, which not only allowed me to have interesting discussions with fellow students but also see the beauty and history of Sheffield. I thoroughly enjoyed all these events. I also went to a badminton session organised during the winter vacation, which made me realise that I am not alone during the cold vacation period!

Visited the Students’ Union

The Student’s Union at Sheffield offers something for everyone. I used to just occasionally visit to see what events were on that week, sometimes involving food stalls or prizes (during national money week!) I found these events really lovely and they gave me a chance to know what my university is doing for the benefit and entertainment of its students.

These are just some of the things I used to do outside of my postgrad studies. I hope you will try them too!

Maha Sohail, MSc Architectural Engineering Design

Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.