Total page views

Looking to the future

‘’So what are you going to do after you finish?’’ was a question that made me break out in a cold sweat whenever it was asked of me during the second and final year of my MA. I thought I would have figured it out by that point, but I was still fairly clueless of what kind of work I was qualified for and/or interested in. Several months on and I’m currently interning at a market research firm in London, and have at times wondered just how I got here. As such, having reflected, below are some pointers on thinking about, and acting on, your future when you’re coming to the end of your postgrad studies. 

1. Familiarise yourself with the application routine. In retrospect it’s easy to see that I was still so uncertain because I hadn’t gone and looked what was out there. The more things I applied to, the easier it was to narrow down on what employers thought I was qualified for. My applications for research positions seemed to be getting further along the application process than any other field I was applying to, and so over time I started focusing on applying for similar roles to the one I’m in now. 

2. Go along to careers events This seems obvious, but is something I didn’t always take full advantage of. Going to talks by research firms who were invited to speak at the university helped develop my understanding of what sorts of things the roles I was applying for would entail, and made it easier to hone in on specific applications later on. 

3. Be realistic with yourself. Be realistic with the challenges that getting your foot in the door can present. I remember for one application I sent off, I received a response stating that around 500 people had applied for the same position. If you have a real dream or passion you should of course chase it, but if like I was you’re looking to get your first ‘real’ or ‘proper’ full time job after studying consider you may have to start in a slightly different sector, or a slightly lower level, than you initially wanted. Similarly, getting used to the rejection letter is a healthy part of the process – always ask for feedback so you can improve your application for next time! 

4. Be ok with being unsure. Lots of people around you at postgrad level will be fairly certain about their post-graduation career paths. Many will have come from working already and others will have known what they wanted to do since they were undergrads. While it can cause anxiety to still not know at what feels like such a late stage, you’re not alone in feeling that way. Doing a postgrad course is tough and an achievement in itself, so reminding yourself that you are highly capable and will eventually find something is key.

Alex Lusuardi, MA European and Global Affairs
Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.